39.178865, -79.120928 (Roadside Trailhead)
"The primary feature of the preserve is the well developed, symmetrical water gap formed by the North Fork of Patterson Creek. The entire Gap is ringed by Oriskany Sandstone cliffs, which rise 800 feet above the cool, clear waters of the creek. The gap was also the site of an April 1863 battle between a small band of federal troops and General Jones’ cavalry.
TNC and partners use this preserve for research in the ecology of the Allegheny woodrat, which is declining throughout its range. "
Patterson Creek Falls aka Falls Gap Falls aka Greenland Gap Falls
Directions to the Preserve:
From their website.
- Take State Route 42 North to Scherr.
- At Scherr, turn right on State Route 93 and go approximately 500 feet and turn right on Country Road 1.
- Keep left across the bridge and go for approximately one mile to the town of Greenland and turn right (do not keep straight on the gravel road) on County Road 3/3.
- You will enter the preserve after about 1/8th mile. The main entrance sign is at the east end of the preserve on 3/3.
From Route 50:
- Take State Route 42 south at Mt. Storm.
- Proceed to Scherr and turn left on State Route 93 and then follow above directions.
At the east end of the Preserve, park at the pull-out near the main entrance sign. The north side trail can be found by crossing Patterson Creek (no bridge) and walking down the old road until the 4x4 post is seen on the left. The trail begins here. The south side trail can be found by walking towards the main entrance sign from the pull-off. The trail head is about 30 feet from the pull-off, on the same side of the Gap as the main entrance sign.
Directions to the Falls:
I came from Davis, WV to get here. I followed WV 32 out of Davis and turned right onto WV 93 (Synergy Hwy) which turns into US 48. Follow US 48. At 20.9 miles from the entrance to Synergy Hwy, you will come to a road on your right (exit). It will not be marked and I can't find a name for this road. The GPS for this spot is 39.219109, -79.148078. Turn here and follow for 0.6 miles and turn left on Laurel Dale Rd. (WV 93). Follow for 2 miles to Sherr and turn left on Old Sherr Rd. (CR 1). Follow for 1 mile and turn right onto Greenland Gap Rd. (CR 3/3). Follow for 2.1 miles to the trailhead. There will be a 4x4 post with a yellow marker roadside which is the trailhead. Parking for one, maybe two cars just up the road on the other side. You should be able to see the falls as you approach, as the trail and the falls are both roadside. Just a short easy walk to the falls.